Chorizo, Egg, and Onion Sandwiches
A few weeks ago I had to make dinner for myself and Peter, and wanted to do sausages, but the store didn’t have any sausage rolls, so I decided to make more of a sandwich with ciabatta rolls instead. That made me think that a type of smoked sausage would work better than the italian sausages I had at the time, so I put those back and grabbed a package of chorizo instead. And of course everything is better if you put a sunny-side-up egg on top, so I did that. Peter and I decided that it was good enough to make it again last night. Here’s how ya make it.
- 6 Ciabatta Rolls
- 1 package Chorizo (~1 lb)
- 2 small Onions, sliced
- ¾ Sweet Bell Pepper, sliced
- 6 Eggs
- Butter or Bacon Fat
- Heat a frying pan on medium low heat.
- Olive oil in the pan.
- Saute the onions and peppers until the chorizo are ready.
- Meanwhile grill or saute the chorizo. If grilling, warming the rolls at the same time is nice.
- When the chorizo is finished, take everything off, put the butter or bacon fat in the pan the onions were in and fry one egg for each sandwich being made.
- Slice the chorizo in ⅜ inch pennies, lay out the pennies in one layer on the bottom half of the roll, and top with onions and peppers and an egg on top.
- Cover with the top half of the roll and enjoy.
We had corn to start our meal and finished with a peach blueberry pie (recipe coming soon). Grilling is made easier with an assistant to manage the grilling. One thing we have not yet tried, but may try some day soon is topping the sandwich with cheese. Mustard is optional and some people like it on their sandwiches, but I eat them without.