OK, I think I’ve got SPDE generating applets now. Let’s see how this works. Leave me a comment if you have trouble running this one.
This is a variant of the Bees sketch I did back in July. It’s written in Scala instead of Java. Since the weather isn’t quite right for bees this time of year, I changed it a little to be a flock of starlings at the seashore on a cold afternoon. They’re a little hyperactive, so move the mouse slowly until they start settling into some cool patterns.
What do you think?
Source code: starlings
Built with SPDE and Processing
Just after I posted this applet, this video started making the rounds of the blogs.
I can’t see it in safari on my mac
It looks like the Mac JVM gets an exception trying to load the background image because it’s coming from flickr, and the applet is coming from a different site.
Here’s the top of the stack trace.
<<< ProxyClassLoader: defined LiveConnectProxy class. >>>
<<< Here're the permissions you've got: >>>
<<< java.security.Permissions@762fc7 (
(java.net.SocketPermission mysite.verizon.net connect,accept,resolve)
java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.net.SocketPermission farm3.static.flickr.com:80 connect,resolve)