I got the 2 main fuel lines fabricated today. They’re 5/16 steel tubing, and they’re really difficult to bend well. I completely buggered up the first one I did. After a little digging around, I found a trick from Andy’s build log. He found that you can just slide a bicycle brake cable housing up the inside of the fuel line. This helps keep it from collapsing when you’re bending it. It’s also slippery enough to pull out after you’ve finished all of the bends. With that trick, and more practice with my tubing bender, I finally got the hang of it and did OK on these two lines which go down the right hand side of the car.
They start from the right side of the engine bay. There are two because one comes from the fuel pump to the injectors and the second takes fuel back around in a loop.
They go down the right hand side of the tunnel and tack neatly to the side of the lowered floor. They’re installed using something which is called a p-clip in England and a cable clamp here.
As you can see from the pictures, I haven’t riveted them in yet. They’re just held down with clecos. That’s because there’s a brake line that has to sneak through this spot in the back.
The third line isn’t under much pressure. It just connects the fuel tank’s vent to the charcoal canister. So I’m just going to use aluminum tubing for that one. That means that the one I buggered up won’t be missed, and it means that I’m done fighting with the heavy steel stuff.