I just finished making this coffee table.
The top is a slab of soapstone. It was the top of a lab bench in a high school I helped gut many years ago. I’ve been dragging the heavy thing around ever since, and intending to create a base for it. But it has spent all its time sitting on an old milk crate.
This week I finally got around to making a base for it. The base is oak, and has sort of an “oak barrel” theme. There are sixteen pieces around the cylinder. The glue up of that part was pretty exciting. I got some extended set time glue to try to avoid trouble, but it was quite a bit runnier than I’m used to and didn’t want to stay where I put it.
The result isn’t exactly a Colin Chapman design, but I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.