The basic method is from my old Moosewood cookbook, but I wanted to come up with something that had a more Spanish flavor using smoked paprika, and still keep it vegetarian.
Recipe type: Main
Spanish inspired vegetarian stuffed eggplant
- 3 eggplants
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1-2 red or green peppers, chopped
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup manchego cheese shredded
- honey if too acidic
- Halve the eggplants length wise and bake face down on an oiled tray in 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Scoop out the inside of the eggplants leaving about ¼ inch in the skins, and chop it up.
- Saute onions and garlic. Add the minced eggplant and peppers.
- When everything is starting to get soft add the diced tomatoes and the spices. Bring everything to a simmer then add the cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper, and if it's too acidic add a teaspoon or so of honey.
- Stuff the eggplant shells and top with the grated manchego. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees.
Serve with a nice loaf of crusty bread